Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Why are you Challenging These Wonderful Women?

A local merchant posed that question this evening regarding my candidacy for the Salado Library District Board. It's a fair question. There are two positions and the two incumbents have opted to run for re-election. So naturally, everyone expects that my bid is a reflex against the status quo. If I didn't run, then the two incumbents would be handily ushered back into office without scuttlebutt. And all would remain the same.

But I'm a bit bothered by the implication that I can't run for something without the assumption that I'm against something. Why isn't it enough that I care about my community, I want to give back and I happen to have a list of qualifications for library board as long as your arm?

Here's how I look at it: Elected offices are jobs that require you to reapply every 2, 4, or 6 years. They aren't tenured positions and it's possible you could be voted out NOT because you did such a horrible job, but because there is a time when different talents and perspectives are required. I teach a course on the changing role of libraries for a graduate library and information sciences program so I understand that organizations and circumstances require different skills and talents at different times.

I experienced this firsthand when I directed the Reading Program, the adult literacy service of the Santa Clara County Library. My predecessor built a solid foundation which enabled me to grow the organization and incorporate innovative programming that attracted the attention of funders, like the Lila Wallace Readers' Digest Fund who approached us to be one of only thirteen libraries selected for a multi-year learning initiative. Just as my predecessor was the right person for the job, I was the right person to succeed her. As one funder once said to me, "I had a crazy idea that I thought no one in their right mind would try. But then I thought of you." During my ten year tenure, our program went from $300,000 per year and ten staff to $1.2 million per year and 25 staff, and we developed products, like the Easy Voter Guide (still in publication with a statewide distribution of almost 5 million) and services like computer-aided literacy.

I have been involved with libraries in a variety of roles for seventeen years. I've also taught literacy program management and grant-writing in two university graduate library and information sciences programs. I have consulted with libraries around the country and even in Russia. I'm active with American Library Association, Public Library Association, Texas State Library Association and ALISE, the association of library educators.

So, I'm not running against. I'm just asking the voters for an opportunity to use my skills and talents to support and grow our library and its services to the community.

No comments: